Thursday, April 21, 2011

Brianna Milam


These past four months in London have flown by faster than I can even begin to describe.  It feels like just yesterday that we were exhaustedly dragging our bags through the rain into our 17th century flats and beginning to explore the new culture we suddenly found ourselves immersed in, but today we are packing our bags to hop back on a plane to the U.S.
I’ve enjoyed my time in London, and throughout the past few months, I have learned a great deal about myself and my fellow GLSers.   I think that the time we have spent here has brought us together not only because have we learned and worked together, but because we have explored, discovered, and laughed together.  We have successfully travelled the world as a group of 27, and in doing so, we have become study partners, travel buddies, and best friends.
Living abroad has had its challenges – from wrong directions to misunderstood words, sometimes it’s a bit difficult to adjust to a culture that seems so similar yet, in reality, is so different.  I still catch myself finding new differences almost every day, but each new thing I learn makes me feel a little closer to being a true Londoner.
I’ve met some wonderful people through my internship and had many unforgettable experiences in London.  I’m sad to be leaving this beautiful city behind, but I know that when I return home, I will still have my GLS class to reminisce with me about the ‘good old days across the pond’.  It’s time for me to return home and see where else my life and the GLS program will lead me.


No comments:

Post a Comment