Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jessie McDowell

The first two months of our European adventure involved country hopping to everywhere from Amsterdam to Switzerland with a little school stuck in between. We always arrived to our flats on Sundays completely exhausted from our weekend traveling, but excited to do the same thing the next week. 


Internship life is not the same. We went from acting like crazy college students traveling around Europe on a whim, to being real adults with big kid jobs. To be honest, I hated it. This could be due to the fact that my internship was straight out of “The Devil Wears Prada”, or that on my first week I tripped over a computer cord (franticly running around for a scary boss will do that to you) and demolished the company laptop. Yup, it was a rough week. Stay in school. The real world sucks. 


Luckily there is a happy ending to this story... well, so far. Surviving my third week  in cut-throat fashion PR has given me a new perspective. I got told my press release was “well written” yesterday, and I have never been happier. I worked for that. Hard. Having an internship in a foreign country isn’t supposed to be easy. You wouldn’t grow and learn that way. I am lucky enough to have an great career opportunity, move to an amazing city with the best, most genuine people I have ever met, and see the world with my best friends. I never want to go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment